GEORGE STOIA III
email@example.com | 918.899.3069 | @GeorgeStoia
Sports reporter | July 2020-present
- Covering all athletics at Arkansas State University, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, University of Central Arkansas and University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
COLORADO SPRINGS GAZETTE
Intern | May-August 2019
- Covered everything from a speed roller skating competition to a rodeo to a race up Pikes Peak to Denver Broncos training camp. Expanded my storytelling skills by covering nontraditional events, while also focusing on long-form stories on subjects that affected the community.
DETROIT FREE PRESS
Intern | May-August 2018
- Covered NASCAR, Tigers games, Lions training camp and more. Learned the importance of headlines and SEO, shooting and editing my own videos, how to use social channels like CrowdTangle and Google Analytics.
Sports editor | Summer 2017, January 2018-December 2019
- Oversee producing daily digital content with a 15-person staff. As the sports editor and lead football writer, led the newsroom in page views (401k) and engaged minutes (397k) the past six months.
Enterprise editor | January 2020-May 2020
- Oversee our quarterly magazine as well as the newsroom’s biggest projects and stories.
Reporter | August 2016-May 2020
- Covered a wide range of beats, including women’s soccer, women’s and men’s basketball and football. Covered events like Big 12 Media Days, 2017 and 2018 Big 12 Championships, 2017 Rose Bowl, 2018 Orange Bowl and 2018 Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York.
ASSOCIATED PRESS SPORTS EDITORS (APSE)
- Ranked as the No. 1 college sports journalist in both 2018-19 and 2019-20, and No. 4 in 2017-18.
ASSOCIATED COLLEGIATE PRESS (ACP)
- Third place in Ernie Pyle Reporter of the Year in 2018-19. First in sports feature of the year in 2018-19.
SPJ MARK OF EXCELLENCE
- Finalist of online sports reporting for my football coverage during 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- Third place in national writing championships in June 2020. Second place in sports reporting in 2019-20.
CLASS OF 2020 | UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA
- Print Journalism and Sports Management